Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Acropolis in Athens




                     
From Athens


Headed down to the Plaka, the area below the Acropolis, this afternoon. Had a iced coffee with Don and he headed back to the hotel while I headed up the mountain to the Acropolis. After what seemed like an eternity, and with sweat dripping in my eyes, I made it to the top. Don figured if you've seen one old building you've seen them all, so I did this walk myself and definitely wouldn't have missed it. It was a terrific view of the area and the buildings, the Parthenon, the temple of Athena, etc were really something. I also had a chance to speak to many different people from the States, Australia, China...I headed down in the wrong direction, picked up a small can of Redbull for 4.50 Euro (major rip off) and headed back to the Plaka to meet Don. The faithful travel partner showed up right where we said we would meet and after a bevy we headed out again. All that walking finally wore me out so I headed back to the room for a little siesta. Sat on the balcony (although that is being generous as it is really more of a ledge with a railing) for a bit. Vasso and Nick, friends of Don's from Hamilton who live here in Greece for part of the year picked us up and took us to N.Paramoy, a coastal holiday town, for dinner. Terrific seafood, octopus, calamari, shrimp (heads and all);interesting entertainment (gypsy kids playing accordions and little round guitars); a great view! Came back to the hotel by metro, which is quite easy to use, and have packed up to head out on the Cruise tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!