Monday, July 29, 2013

Things I Learned in China

As I prepare to move on in my journey of Asia I have been reflecting on some of the things I have learned during my time in China. Now, China is a very large country and, admittedly, I have only been able to sample a small part of what it has to offer, but these are some of the things I have learned:

  • it is possible to carry a refrigerator and a full family of four on a scooter
  • a horn is a useful accessory on a vehicle and should be used often
  • rice noodles can be for breakfast
  • porridge can be made of rice
  • a very firm mattress is wonderful and I need one
  • a silk duvet is the best
  • there are other places in China besides Beijing and Shanghai
  • a large, ceramic mushroom is a perfectly acceptable lawn ornament
  • many Chinese are still fascinated by the 'white foreigner'
  • the Chinese are a friendly and helpful people
  • the Chinese show great respect for teachers
  • I can survive for three weeks eating Chinese food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner
  • red and gold may seem gaudy to Westerners but these are important colours in China
  • squatting is actually a very sensible and natural way to relieve oneself
  • cicadas are a very annoying insect and deserve to be made into a tasty snack

Now, off to Bali!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!